Seriously. 10 months. I haven’t a really good excuse for it though. It looks from the file revisions like I started it in November of last year and it’s been in various stages of writing then waiting then editing then waiting since then.
This bag pattern was made by request. Not long after I made the Featherweight tote, I altered that pattern to make a larger bag for carrying full sized machines to workshop days. It wasn’t long before people started seeing and asking for the pattern for the bag. At first, I told people that they could use the featherweight tote pattern and I’d provide the dimension changes. Most people though wanted all the changes incorporated – especially the 2 shops that carry my patterns. Continue reading At last – a pattern 10 months in the making→
Some months ago, in order to feed my budding interest in spinning, I joined the Edmonton Weavers Guild. Since then, I’ve accidentally become more and more involved with the guild.
How does one become accidentally involved? In stages. 😉
It started out with me doing some tune-ups on the guild’s wheels. Tune-ups that are still ongoing with some of the consumables being replaced. While I’ve been doing these tune-ups, the questions naturally come about – why are you using this instead of that? What about when this happens, etc.
A year or so ago, I started knitting again – after more than 30 years of not knitting.
As is typical for me, I started to get interested in the whole process – not “just” the fabric making part of it but making the yarn, etc. I’ve always loved the look of a spinning wheel but couldn’t justify the space or cost requirement because I didn’t spin.
I found plans to build a basic (and little!) quill spinning wheel – called a Dodec (for “dodecagon” or twelve-sided wheel) – online and did that but I didn’t know if it was me or the wheel needing to be set up better when I was having trouble – but I got a small taste… and it was noisy. Some of you who know me in person – know how little I like “noise”. Continue reading Workhorse – spinning with a Canadian connection→
Back in April and May of 2012, I wrote the two posts that would become the most popular posts on this site. These are the posts on how to adjust the Singer button controllers. I’ve yet to find another brand’s pedals with so much adjustment which is why I advocate keeping them.
When I started posting about sewing machines, the intention was to cover what I was doing along with some of the maintenance we should all be doing and some of the basic repairs that nearly everyone could do.
Eventually, I started to get requests for certain posts and videos which is extremely flattering. It told me that people were enjoying – and learning from – what I was doing. Some of the requests have been excellent suggestions and often form the basis of the posts you’ve seen on this site. Continue reading Scope and Archaic Arcane→
This one causes a lot of sometimes heated discussion on forums. Many people have done tests and lots of opinions have been stated. Today, I’m going to state my opinion, back it up with my reasoning and testing and then you can decide what you want to do with your own machines.
A couple years back, I mentioned that I could still get Singer Lube that was still suitable for use in Singer motors. In February of this year, that changed. I spent some time posting about it on Facebook.
There have been a lot of discussions about sewing machine motor lubricants over the years and I thought I’d take a step further back and discuss why we do this, how we do this and why some of the information “out there” is sort of F.U.D. (<- Wikipedia Link)
First off: Why do we lube or oil a motor? (I’m a why person, have you noticed this yet?? I’m quite sure I drive some people nuts with my “whys?”… )
I get this question probably a couple of times a year, so today I’m presenting a post with a video companion! Jocelyn and I spoke via email but I asked her if it would be OK to use her email for reader mail. I’m guessing she didn’t expect me to get to it almost 2 years later! (I really do get that behind on the site stuff!)
Jocelyn emailed me some time ago to ask:
Hi, I inherited my mom’s Singer 411G. (Lucky ME!). Both spool pins are broken and I am having a devil of a time trying to find replacements.
Any insight/direction/suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
It seems like summer always brings lots of household projects. This year, it’s a leaking woodstove flashing (fixed – and the painting of the ceiling to go with it – not fixed), window frames needing to be painted (again – pending) and then the vehicles landed on my radar. They haven’t seen a good detailing in well,.. ever in the case of the truck and the car probably hasn’t seen a comprehensive detailing since 2008.
Yeah, I’m not proud of that. When the August long weekend hit, we started cleaning and cleaning and… uh oh. Rust. We went from prepping and painting a few spots to some fairly major repair and painting. This is what we (former) business analysts call “scope creep”.
Great. Spraying base and clear. I’ve done this before. Last time (2007), it was a 1999 CBR 600. I’ll post that “throwback” post one day soon. Yeah, I haven’t sprayed automotive paint in 9 years – I did do some major bodywork on a truck since then but I rolled that paint instead of doing it with a paint gun.
Speaking of rusty things – I am as well and my body sure has a lot more to say about it this time around.
I also swore that time that I’d never spray clear again. Awesome. 😉
Since I’m going to be shooting clear anyway, I thought I’d try to do the touch-ups, and wet sand the sags in the paint on the “Wee One” and give her a final coat of clear too. If it doesn’t work – well, she was going to be repainted anyway.