Earlier this weekend, I posted on Facebook that I was closing the shop here at Archaic Arcane. I guess I worded it poorly and some people thought that I meant that Archaic Arcane was going away altogether. Let me clarify. This is not the case!
SHOP.archaicarcane.com is going away as of December 31, 2018. Only the online shop.
That’s all. I’m still servicing machines. I’m still teaching classes. I’m still making videos. I’m still posting up here on the site as time permits. All of the patterns that I had in the shop are still available at Craftsy.
I made this decision for a few reasons:
- Various updates at the website’s host and to the shop software broke the automatic download emails at random times. That meant that people would feel like they had paid for something that they hadn’t received. I always made sure to rectify it as soon as I knew about it but it didn’t sit well with me that things could break without me knowing and flavor your experiences so badly. There were times when we were away for the day and someone would encounter a problem with downloads and there was sometimes nothing I could do for several hours until I got home.
- Of all the sites I maintain, for some reason, the shop was the only one that refused to consistently do updates automatically. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn’t. Again, if I was away for the day, I often couldn’t rectify it for hours at a time. Some days, multiple updates would come at different times of the day.
- eCommerce (a shop) raises the risk of hack attempts on a website. Bad people want information that may be held on a website, and financial information is the most attractive of all. The shop software here pushed all financial processing to PayPal, so no financial information was ever held on this site but that didn’t stop the unhealthy interest in the site.
- While no financial information was held on the site, Paypal does return information that you have in your Paypal profiles – things like your name, address and phone number. I don’t believe your information needs to be held on my web site but there was no realistic way for me to stop this transfer of data from PayPal to the shop software. By removing the shop, that information also gets removed from the site permanently. This keeps you safer.
- Most people still purchased my patterns from Craftsy anyway, so it was just a lot of work for not a lot of reason. Originally, I’d intended to add things like the German slant spool pin upgrade kits, etc to the shop but if I still hadn’t done it a year later, it was pretty safe to say I wasn’t going to get to it. Most people who want parts from me contact me through the contact page anyway – which is a better way to do it since some of this stuff is pretty specific – and postage was unlikely to be be right through the shop anyway.
Until December 31st, 2018, you can still re-download your patterns on your own using the links you would have received via email when you initially purchased them. Please do!
After December 31st, If you need to download them again, you can still drop me an email via: https://archaicarcane.com/contact/
Provide the email address that you used when you purchased the pattern(s) and once I verify it from my records, I will send the download to you via email for your archives. I won’t leave you hanging!
Of course, if you have any trouble also drop me a line via the contact page and I will sort it out.